The goal of Brown’s Team HBV chapter is to spread awareness, screening, and vaccination of hepatitis B in the Providence area, as well as work with other HBV chapters in national events. Hepatitis B and liver cancer is disproportionately high among Asian and Pacific Islanders (APIs) worldwide, and Brown’s Team HBV is currently involved in screening programs that hope to address this disparity. Hepatitis B virus, despite being a completely preventable disease, still causes 80% of all primary liver cancer cases and leaves 350 million people chronically infected.
President: Eric Chen
VP of Finance: Tram Bui
VP of Recruitment: Julia Bu
VP of Campus Outreach: Jenzel Espares
VP of Community Outreach: Andrew Li
VP of Administration: Edward Lee
Treasurer: Jie Ying Wu
Secretary: Sandra Yan
Please contact us if you are interested in joining or have questions about Team HBV at Brown! E-mail us at email@example.com.
Hepatitis B Awareness Week – Dates TBA
- At our annual Hepatitis B Awareness Week, we will be holding weeklong events to raise awareness about Hepatitis B on campus.
Plushie Making Study Break – Dates TBA
- We will be making Hepatitis B plushies at this study break!
CCCRI Outreach Event with APAMSA – Nov 4th
- We joined our friends at Alpert Warren Medical School’s branch of APAMSA at an outreach they did at the local Chinese church. While the medical students performed glaucoma and blood sugar screenings, our group had a table to provide information about hepatitis B.
BTS Nightmarket – Sept 21st
- At one of our school’s annual food and entertainment fundraising events for student groups, we sold almond jelly and provided information about Hepatitis B. The high attendance at the event coupled with the tastiness of our food item made the sale a success in raising awareness and money for our group.
A Talk and Dinner with Dr. Carol Lewis, founder and director of the Refugee Clinic at Hasbro’s Children’s Hospital – April 2nd
- Over 200 refugees come to Providence each year. Over 15% of those screened have Hepatitis B.
- This is an opportunity to gain insight to the issues facing refugees in Providence and learn more about Dr. Lewis’ work at the clinic.
April 4th – Wear green and get a free brownie!
- We passed out free brownies with Hepatitis B facts on toothpicks to students who are wearing green.
April 2-6 – Decorate campus with green ribbons
- We tied green ribbons and balloons around the main campus as an awareness tribute towards HBV
April 28th – 29th – Laotian New Year Outreach Project
- We held a booth at the Laotian New Year festival and talk to members of the community about Hepatitis B.
April TBA – Chinese Christian Church of Rhode Island Education Project
- We had an interactive discussion about Hepatitis B and host a plushie-making workshop for children at the CCCRI.